Team Dramander
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Team Dramander

No Player Left Behind!

A Place You Can Never Forget. We're an Unforgettable Chance Waiting on the Other Side of the Door.

HomeLatest imagesGamescodex - The free content Wiki Encyclopedia for Games Custom_rulesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» DISCORD SERVER
Gamescodex - The free content Wiki Encyclopedia for Games Icon_minitimeby Memieko Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:23 am

» Too Little Too Late
Gamescodex - The free content Wiki Encyclopedia for Games Icon_minitimeby Memieko Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:21 am

» Omegle Laughter
Gamescodex - The free content Wiki Encyclopedia for Games Icon_minitimeby Memieko Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:14 am

» Have another: "Around the Corner" by Macaroni Man
Gamescodex - The free content Wiki Encyclopedia for Games Icon_minitimeby Mac of All Trades Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:29 am

» Collective Writing
Gamescodex - The free content Wiki Encyclopedia for Games Icon_minitimeby Mac of All Trades Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:47 pm

» The Continuing Story and Edit the Sentence Combined
Gamescodex - The free content Wiki Encyclopedia for Games Icon_minitimeby Mac of All Trades Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:33 pm

» For those still remaining.
Gamescodex - The free content Wiki Encyclopedia for Games Icon_minitimeby Hawk Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:33 am

» I'm the Map I'm the Map I'm the Map I'm the Map
Gamescodex - The free content Wiki Encyclopedia for Games Icon_minitimeby Mac of All Trades Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:42 am

» Twilight House
Gamescodex - The free content Wiki Encyclopedia for Games Icon_minitimeby Mac of All Trades Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:34 am

» Philosophical Entries.
Gamescodex - The free content Wiki Encyclopedia for Games Icon_minitimeby Mac of All Trades Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:30 am

» Pokémon Fusion
Gamescodex - The free content Wiki Encyclopedia for Games Icon_minitimeby RaichuXPikachu Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:01 pm

» Pokemon Fusion
Gamescodex - The free content Wiki Encyclopedia for Games Icon_minitimeby RaichuXPikachu Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:57 pm

» Reupload for Riley
Gamescodex - The free content Wiki Encyclopedia for Games Icon_minitimeby RedHerring Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:50 pm

» Final Fantasy
Gamescodex - The free content Wiki Encyclopedia for Games Icon_minitimeby Zothen Thu May 16, 2013 10:00 am

» I needz suggestions
Gamescodex - The free content Wiki Encyclopedia for Games Icon_minitimeby Hawk Mon May 06, 2013 11:00 am

» Mah new fanfiction
Gamescodex - The free content Wiki Encyclopedia for Games Icon_minitimeby Hawk Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:39 am

» I think you should all know where I went.
Gamescodex - The free content Wiki Encyclopedia for Games Icon_minitimeby Memieko Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:15 am

» My Goodbye
Gamescodex - The free content Wiki Encyclopedia for Games Icon_minitimeby Lewa Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:53 pm

» College Esé
Gamescodex - The free content Wiki Encyclopedia for Games Icon_minitimeby Mac of All Trades Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:20 pm

» 3D Pokemon
Gamescodex - The free content Wiki Encyclopedia for Games Icon_minitimeby RedHerring Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:41 pm

Status Shout Box

Gamescodex - The free content Wiki Encyclopedia for Games

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Jinji

Jinji

Location : My mansion, in the center of a dark forest somewhere in the Pokemon World...

Gamescodex - The free content Wiki Encyclopedia for Games Empty
PostSubject: Gamescodex - The free content Wiki Encyclopedia for Games   Gamescodex - The free content Wiki Encyclopedia for Games Icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2011 3:25 pm

What is Gamescodex?

Gamescodex is described as "a human-editable free content Encyclopaedia project, geared towards sharing information about games and gaming-related topics from all around the World"; and this is a very good description of the site's purpose.

Put simply, Gamescodex is just like Wikipedia, but specifically for Games. The aim of the project is to cover anything and everything related to gaming, no matter where it comes from or what type of game it is, and deliver it all in the form of detailed, high-quality articles that anyone can read and contribute towards. In the future, I hope for Gamescodex to become the go-to place for anything you need to know about games and gaming, and possibly even rival other online Encyclopaedia projects in quality and detail. But to do it, I need your support!

Is it just for videogames?

Not at all! "Game" is a loosely-defined term that encompasses many different forms of entertainment spread out over the world over hundreds of years, and Gamescodex is happy to cover any type of Game no matter what it is or when and where it was invented. So whether it's a video, computer or Flash game; a more traditional board or card game; a form of gambling; a game book; a war game or fantasy role-play game; or something totally different entirely - we welcome it all!

So what can I do to help?

The easiest way to help is to simply share your knowledge - however limited it may be. If you have a game you like to play a lot and you know quite a lot about it; or you have information on someone who invented a game or something you've seen in a game - then come to the site and write an article about it! Writing an article is no more difficult than writing a Forum post, and we've even got a WYSIWYG editor to help you along if you've never used a Wiki before. And don't worry if all you can write is one or two sentences - the advantage of a Wiki is that whatever you start now, anyone else can come along and flesh out or correct mistakes in later. If we already have an article about a game, but you've seen a mistake in it or know something we don't, you can even edit it and add your new stuff in. It's totally interactive!

If you're not the writing type, you may still be able to help. Gamescodex also encourages the use of pictures in every article to help people visualise concepts; show off box art and in-game moments; make things easier to understand; and break up the monotony of long pieces of writing. You can also help here by finding or creating pictures of the games or game-related topics wherever you feel they can help out; then, by visiting our Special:Upload page, you can upload them to Gamescodex ready to be added to the articles that need them. You can also bring out your own artistic side by drawing for Gamescodex - we are currently in search of a logo and icon to use for the website, so all help there is appreciated! I will hopefully post more info about that part soon on the website.

And how much does this cost me? Do I need to sign up to take advantage?

The best part of Gamescodex is that this is all free and open - you never need to pay a penny to use the site, and all the articles can be viewed at any time by anyone - you don't even need to register an account if you don't want to. Although, if you DO register, you do get your own User page on Gamescodex to make your own, as well as a User Talk page for public messaging; and you can fully edit and customise them how you like, to truly make them your own. Also, if anyone ever vandalises Gamescdoex and forces me to ban their IP, and your IP somehow matches as well, by being a member you can login and get around the block to continue contributing to the site, because we know who you are and can trust you more than the anonymous users who caused the damage.

Visit Gamescodex today at:
http://www.gamescodex.net/wiki

Last edited by Jinji on Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mac of All Trades
The Forum Clown
The Forum Clown
Mac of All Trades

Squad : Join ALL the squads!

PostSubject: Re: Gamescodex - The free content Wiki Encyclopedia for Games   Gamescodex - The free content Wiki Encyclopedia for Games Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 7:59 pm

Hm, that link isn't working for me...is the site down for maintenance now or something? I can't get on
You would think that someone would have done this already. Well, there probably ARE a bunch of similar in-development wikis about general gaming, but if you want to become a famous worldwide website...well I'm willing to help write some articles. The fact that this is such a broad topic, games of absolutely all kinds; how do we know where to start? Do you have any suggestions on what types of articles we should focus on writing to start out?
(this'll be low priority for me tbh, I won't be able to write anything unless I have nothing else to do at the time)
Back to top Go down
Jinji

Jinji

Location : My mansion, in the center of a dark forest somewhere in the Pokemon World...

PostSubject: Re: Gamescodex - The free content Wiki Encyclopedia for Games   Gamescodex - The free content Wiki Encyclopedia for Games Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 8:16 pm

My apologies. There was a temporary problem with the server today which caused some slight disruptions. Try again now. If you still can't access the site, try removing the /wiki part of the link - it should redirect you to the correct page after a short wait. (I will try to change the link structure soon to make it work a little better)

As for ideas on what to write about... my highest recommendation is to simply write about the game or game concept you know the most about. If you're really stuck for ideas though, the Main Page has a few suggestions. One great idea is to check the Special:WantedPages page - this contains a huge list of articles that don't exist yet, but other pages are linking to, with the most needed pages at the top. If you see one on this list you can help with, then give it a try!
Back to top Go down
Mac of All Trades
The Forum Clown
The Forum Clown
Mac of All Trades

PostSubject: Re: Gamescodex - The free content Wiki Encyclopedia for Games   Gamescodex - The free content Wiki Encyclopedia for Games Icon_minitimeSun Apr 03, 2011 7:08 pm

Well I made an account on the wiki. *Yawn* That was exhausting, enough progress for today Happy
Back to top Go down
Jinji

Jinji

PostSubject: Re: Gamescodex - The free content Wiki Encyclopedia for Games   Gamescodex - The free content Wiki Encyclopedia for Games Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 6:25 pm

I've been doing a few updates to the site recently to make it easier to get around, and so that some of the existing features make more sense. I hope it helps people out Smile

By the way, another thing people can help out with is coming up with categories each article would fit in, and adding them to an article. For example, an article about Bomber Man might be classed as "Video Game", "NES Game", "Game Series" etc. Taking a look at some of the already existing articles can help you get ideas for categories to use. To add categories to a page, you just edit it and add at the bottom of the page, [[Category:Whatever]] for each category you want to add, e.g. [[Category:Video games]] for a Video game. Hope you get the idea.
Back to top Go down
Jinji

Jinji

PostSubject: Updates!   Gamescodex - The free content Wiki Encyclopedia for Games Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 11:09 am

I reworked Gamerpedia's link structure today, with some help from a personal friend of mine who also operates the server. Now, all links in Gamerpedia follow the structure, http://gamerpedia.sanitarium.fm/wiki/ARTICLE and you can just change ARTICLE to go to the exact page you want - or ignore it completely to go to the Main Page. This should also fix those weird 404s some of you were getting.

To everyone who's registered so far: There's a message for you all on the site, so do log in soon and click the "You have new messages" link that appears.

And that's another thing. I've wrote a new introductory message to send to all new registrants, so all future new members will also get this - when I notice them. It's "semi-automated", so it's written by a script but I still have to post it myself - I hope to change that soon.

There's a few other changes too, which I'm sure you'll notice on your own. Oh, and thanks to everyone who's contributed so far - keep it up!
Back to top Go down
Jinji

Jinji

PostSubject: Re: Gamescodex - The free content Wiki Encyclopedia for Games   Gamescodex - The free content Wiki Encyclopedia for Games Icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2011 12:48 am

Seems like everyone forgot about this website...
Back to top Go down
Littlered
Demon in Disguise
Demon in Disguise
Littlered

Squad : Flame Squad

PostSubject: Re: Gamescodex - The free content Wiki Encyclopedia for Games   Gamescodex - The free content Wiki Encyclopedia for Games Icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2011 11:08 am

I think it would be in our best interest to start advertising this website everywhere. I unfortunatly have nothing to add to this website because lets face it i cant say that much a about a game, especially since i dont play many. I have about 5 other friends on the minecraft server I play on that would be interested, I can get them to join for you Happy
Back to top Go down
Memieko
Concept Extraordinaire
Concept Extraordinaire
Memieko

Squad : Flame SA

PostSubject: Re: Gamescodex - The free content Wiki Encyclopedia for Games   Gamescodex - The free content Wiki Encyclopedia for Games Icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2011 4:10 pm

Sorry, Jinji, I would look be more active on it if I had more time on my hands v.v
Back to top Go down
Jinji

Jinji

PostSubject: Re: Gamescodex - The free content Wiki Encyclopedia for Games   Gamescodex - The free content Wiki Encyclopedia for Games Icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2011 4:23 pm

That'd be great!

By the way, if anyone has any ideas on how to improve the site as well, I'm all ears. I haven't actually done any work on the site in over two months and am really in the need of fresh ideas.
Back to top Go down
Memieko
Concept Extraordinaire
Concept Extraordinaire
Memieko

Squad : Flame SA

PostSubject: Re: Gamescodex - The free content Wiki Encyclopedia for Games   Gamescodex - The free content Wiki Encyclopedia for Games Icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2011 4:32 pm

I can add it as an advertisement to my server, if you'd like.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Gamescodex - The free content Wiki Encyclopedia for Games   Gamescodex - The free content Wiki Encyclopedia for Games Icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2011 4:37 pm

Il tell my mates about it Razz
Back to top Go down
Jinji

Jinji

PostSubject: Re: Gamescodex - The free content Wiki Encyclopedia for Games   Gamescodex - The free content Wiki Encyclopedia for Games Icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2011 4:41 pm

Anything to spread the word! (Well, as long as it's tasteful...)
Back to top Go down
Mac of All Trades
The Forum Clown
The Forum Clown
Mac of All Trades

PostSubject: Re: Gamescodex - The free content Wiki Encyclopedia for Games   Gamescodex - The free content Wiki Encyclopedia for Games Icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2011 5:45 pm

Jinji wrote:
Seems like everyone forgot about this website...

I know I said I'd help out, but before I try to write another article I should figure out more about how to write on a wiki, like how to make tables, site sources and those statistic chart things with the picture on the sides.
(That and I forgot my password a while ago)
Back to top Go down
Jinji

Jinji

PostSubject: Tables, huh? Well, that's easy.   Gamescodex - The free content Wiki Encyclopedia for Games Icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 2:13 am

Well, that's kind of the reason I gave Gamerpedia a WYSIWYG editor a little while back - What You See Is What You Get*; and there's buttons for adding most of the complicated stuff easily.

To answer your question though: In MediaWiki, you can just write up tables in HTML the same you would for any website; but there's also an official method using Wikitext, which is explained here: MediaWiki:Help:Tables. The advantage of using Wikitext is it takes less writing to create the table, so it also uses less memory and loads faster, plus it's easier to visualise the table when editing it.

*Gamerpedia's WYSIWYG editor actually has a button that lets you create tables easily just like you would in Microsoft Word, so you can always use that if you aren't quite getting it, but it sometimes screws up because the editor isn't perfect. So I recommend learning the official method, but you can use what you find most friendly.

Last edited by Jinji on Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:16 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Making the link more noticable.)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Gamescodex - The free content Wiki Encyclopedia for Games   Gamescodex - The free content Wiki Encyclopedia for Games Icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 4:49 pm

Can I sign up and make pages on games like Starcraft 2 and WoW??
Though I am currently busy making youtube videos, I can try and make time for it.
Back to top Go down
Jinji

Jinji

PostSubject: Re: Gamescodex - The free content Wiki Encyclopedia for Games   Gamescodex - The free content Wiki Encyclopedia for Games Icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 5:03 pm

Grhym wrote:
Can I sign up and make pages on games like Starcraft 2 and WoW??
Though I am currently busy making youtube videos, I can try and make time for it.
Sure, Grhym. All help is very much appreciated, and those are great games to get covered.

Just so everyone knows: When I finally finish rebranding Gamerpedia (read more here), I don't intend to get rid of any of the content - there just might be some edits here and there. For the most part though, it will hopefully just be aesthetic and internal changes. So feel free to keep contributing stuff!

Last edited by Jinji on Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mac of All Trades
The Forum Clown
The Forum Clown
Mac of All Trades

PostSubject: Re: Gamescodex - The free content Wiki Encyclopedia for Games   Gamescodex - The free content Wiki Encyclopedia for Games Icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 6:13 pm

Oh I was using this situation as an excuse not to contribute for now................
Back to top Go down
Jinji

Jinji

PostSubject: Re: Gamescodex - The free content Wiki Encyclopedia for Games   Gamescodex - The free content Wiki Encyclopedia for Games Icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 6:29 pm

Macro wrote:
Oh I was using this situation as an excuse not to contribute for now................
I guessed as much, which was why I thought I should say that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gamescodex - The free content Wiki Encyclopedia for Games   Gamescodex - The free content Wiki Encyclopedia for Games Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gamescodex - The free content Wiki Encyclopedia for Games
Page 1 of 1